You know what really grinds my gears? I hate seeing people my own goshdarn age asking for money from their peers for something like a concert. Let’s list some things real quick here. What causes (of people roughly my own age) would I be willing to donate money to?
1. A kickstarter for a project. For example, an aspiring videographer needing funds to create their thesis film for graduate school.
2. A good ass cause. For example, someone needing funds to start up a school for girls in Africa. A person needing some money to kickstart their charity that gives backpacks full of school supplies to inner city children.
3. An emergency situation. For example, if a friend of mine were to experience a horrible house fire or something and needed some help to get back on their feet and finish school.
What I will not donate money to:
1. A concert ticket.
2. So you can buy a new pair of shoes.
3. So you can go to another country for fun. (I did this, and I paid my own way by EARNING the money at my JOB by working a lot of HOURS. Sorry you have volleyball practice or want to record music with your friends and sleep in, but sometimes you make sacrifices to reach your ultimate goals.)
4. So you can move to another city to start a new life. (Although I have no qualms with doing this, you shouldn’t make a move like that unless you are willing to make the sacrifices and accept the consequences. What, you want me to give up my months rent to help you out in your new life bro? YEAH. Right…)
So to end this unnecessarily long rant, I would just like to remind all the other 18-20-somethings out there, we are all poor. So get a job or sell some plasma or babysit your dang neighbor kids and make some money yourself.